When studying abroad to London, keep these following tips in mind:
Do not sign up for an international plan in the United States. Instead, do one of the two following:
Bring your current cell phone with a sim-card
- In order to bring your current phone to Europe, it must have a sim-card and must be “unlocked.”
- If you are able to get your phone unlocked in the United States, do so. If not, you are able to get your cell phone unlocked in London anywhere from 5 to 20 pounds.
- If you do not have a sim-card, do not bring your cell phone over here. It will not work.
Buy a cheap phone from Carphone Warehouse when you arrive.
- Carphone Warehouse is a wonderful resource for cheap cell phones.
- Here, you are able to buy “pay as you go” phones for as cheap as 10 pounds. Keep in mind, they are not smart phones — you will only be able to call and text message.
When purchasing a sim-card, there are two options.
- A local sim-card such as O2, Virgin or Orange.
- An international Lebara sim-card.
It is best to purchase an international sim-card.
The Lebara sim-cards have the best rates.
You are able to take this phone and travel with it throughout Europe.
You are able to call and text message home.